Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rabbits and Chickens OH MY!!

A sister called us one afternoon, mind you that I ignored her call untill the next day, to let us know that her neighbor ran over a nest of rabbits and needed someone to care for them. Wild ones at that. Since Collin talks about his rabbits at the hall we were the choice that came to mind to care for them.

Collin fed them every two hours on our Mama bunny however she didn't have enough milk for them and her babies. Needless to say 4 of the 6 babies died. I got milk replacer and had to nurse the two remaining babies back to life every hour for two days. That ment all night long we got up and fed them one teaspoon of milk that took 20 mins to do. They got up to a tablespoon by day three. Now we are at 8 days and they are fat plump bunnies. The wild side is showing so they must be feeling good.

CHICKENS____ I ordered 27 mail order chicks. I really went overboard and ordered a bunch with the intent to give a few away. The morning came and I picked them up from the post office and quickly got them home into the brooding box. Very proudly I gave them food and water. I didn't count them because 27 was going to look like a lot. That evening a Brother came by and told me that I had over 50!! Aparently I got someone elses order. NOW WHAT!! My homesteader/ organic eggs are now overwhelming .

I have bunnies out the wazoo and chicks ---oh my--- if 40 of them lay eggs that is 40 a day times 7 oh myyyyyyy gooodddnesss what am I to do??

I went to mtg and a brother is going to take 10 of them. I still have way too many.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Here a chick, there a chick, everywhere a chick chick!